Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Fighting on the Wrong Turf

Fighting on the Wrong Turf
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but….against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Ep6.12

I am amazed at how bound I am to the physical world, despite my Christian beliefs. As a Christian I believe that I am a soul who happens to have, at least for the present, a body, and yet I live in so many ways like I am my body who just happens to have a soul. Many of our temporal concerns, for all practical purposes, compete against our belief in those eternal realities we espouse as Christians. The truth is we live most days giving some kind of lip service to heaven but giving our energies and tragically our hearts to earth.
Thus it seems that our struggle is in fact against flesh and blood but this is only because our real enemies have duped us into fighting on the wrong turf. The real enemy is not poverty or cancer or terrorist. These things are only the consequent grounds on which a spiritual battle, the real battle is being waged. The enemies intention is not to destroy our body but to destroy our soul. And, a cunning enemy he is, always feigning left, when we should be looking to the right. 1/27/07 ts