Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, December 3, 2007

Contentment, an Acquired taste

And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. Jo6.35 NKJV

Facebook is one of the new virtual coffee shops. It creatively enables personal interaction with others. One Facebook application allows me to tell my friends the particular moods I am having and even displays an emoticon for it. Over the last several days my moods have changed a lot. I think my all time favorite mood is to be “content.” When I think of being content, I think of the times when I have been satisfied, happy, wanting for nothing. You might wonder, “Well, when was that?” And, I must confess that such times are rare. I have had but a few moments where I felt that heaven could not be any better than the way I was feeling right then.
I think contentment is what Christ is promising in the word above, and ultimately, in the world, above. But, in this place, and in this time, I believe that we must often content ourselves with all that God is, before we can actually be content with all that God is providing. What I am saying is that contentment is a faith choice in us, and not the result of circumstances around us. Contentment then is an acquired taste because we are learning to will His will, and to be satisfied with heaven's bread. This means, of course, that we are at the same time growing dissatisfied with the molding bread of earth. 12/3/07 ts