Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

“Every one of us is, even from his mother's womb, a master craftsman of idols” John Calvin

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. 1Jo5.21 ESV

The other day a good friend of mine made the observation that perhaps Christians have made an idol out of Christianity. Given man's nature toward such, I not only agree with my friend that it is possible, it is most probable.
I seem to remember Oprah Winfrey recently saying that Jesus Christ did not come to establish Christianity. While I would not agree with most of her many pluralisms, which are also fine examples of idolatry, I tend to agree with this one. I believe that Christians have made an idol out of our many traditions and as such Christ would probably not approve of many things in Christendom. But if Christians have made an idol out of organized religion, the world bows to the idol of an imaginary god. For the idols of our day are not made of wood or metal, but out of false notions. We all tend to invent a god that comforts the way we want the real God to be.
But this is of course why Christ came. Even then when He was transfigured on the mountain with Moses and Elijah, it was the weakness of Peter who wanted to build three temples for each of them. And what did the Father say to this religious and ridiculous notion? “This is my Son, listen to Him.”