Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, September 10, 2007

A Word of Caution

Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. Co1.28 NKJV

Those who labor in the ministry of the word are said to warn every man. This particular word refers to setting something down in the mind or thoughts of another. And, the thought conveyed is a cautioning one. This is done of course through teaching and teaching, as any good teacher knows, is accomplished in a variety of ways. I should think that some of the best lessons may be effectively set in the thoughts of another without verbal communication at all. But as the greatest teacher oft used words so should we.
Now as to the inculcation being a warning, this should not offend us, because there are many hazards on the road to maturity. The other day I was commenting to the Lord how easy it is for me to step off the path. I was out for morning prayers walking on a path in some woods. I had no more said these words when my eyes suddenly focused on all the poison ivy that lined the very path I was walking. Hazards indeed! Now Brenda had asked to see this path on one of our afternoon walks. Being the thoughtful husband that I am, I of course pointed out all this poison ivy to her. Neither the manner in which I gave this warning nor the manner which she received it, conveyed any tension between us. I had no air of superiority warning her, and she had no air of resentment receiving my kind word. Pride will often get in our way and we do well to note it when giving or receiving a word of warning. Some warning are kindly spoken, some harshly said. I am sure if I saw Brenda about to step on a copperhead, my warning would have been much more intense. Someone has said that ninety percent of the tension in the world is caused by the tone in one’s voice. And while we should mark this, we may at times be required to give a severe caution to an erring friend if we are to save them some misfortune. 9/7/07 ts