Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

“Here I am!” or “There you are.”

Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Phil2.4 NKJV

I am blessed to know a number of people who find their joy in serving others. This of course makes me a very wealthy person, for this is a rare and precious quality. Consider these words which describe Paul's protégé. “For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.”
It is both humbling and encouraging to be around these gentle servants. One friend that God has graciously brought into my life finds joy in what ever project I am currently working. He gets as excited about my project as I am and works on it as his own.
It is natural for people to seek after their own good. It is indeed rare to know people who naturally look out for the concerns of others and to do so without seeking personal gain unless of course one considers joy and peace to be gain. I think that maybe these wonderful servants have found spiritual chocolate in their service to others. One question I find humbling but helpful. Am I the kind of person who walks into a room and announces, “Here I am!” or the kind who walks in and says, “There you are.”
9/18/07 ts