Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Calling Fire or Calling on Christ

For we know Him who said, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. Heb10.30 NKJV

I think every time I have heard these words, they were being said with vengeance. What I mean, is that the person or persons saying them wanted God to send down fire from heaven and seemed to relish the thought that He would dish out some retribution against sinners. I am reminded of the time the disciples of Christ were shunned by the Samaritans.
And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?” But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them. Lk.9.54-55 NKJV
Vengeance truly belongs to God alone and He will certainly bring every person to judgment. This means of course that I too will stand in His presence. And, what I would want from God for myself should temper what I would want from God for my neighbor. As for handing out justice, God is both just and justifier of those who look to Christ. Let us find encouragement for ourselves in the promises of Christ and instead of calling down fire from heaven, let us call others to find the same comfort we have found in Him. Jesus is able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him. Tragically, it is only those who refuse the gift of Christ who need to fear the vengeance of God. 9/26/07 ts