Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, August 4, 2008

“Cruel is the strife of brothers.” Aristotle

”You store them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.” Ps31.20 ESV

If you have ever heard a recording of yourself talking to someone, you know that the experience can be very telling. Most people will say something like, “Do I really sound like that?” or “Did I really say that?” The other day we got one of those videos people send via cell phones recording a candid moment. In the video you could hear someone speaking in the background and though they did not actually say it, the tone in their voice could have easily added the word “Stupid!” to the end of the sentence. Brenda and I have started taking notice of how many things we say where the manner might easily add a derogatory such as “dim-whit”, or “idiot” somewhere in it. Someone has said that ninety percent of the friction in the world in caused by the tone of one’s voice.
God would spare us this! His presence is the absence of strife. More of Jesus in me means less strife in me--fewer criticisms and negative judgments. 8/4/2008 ts