Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, August 25, 2008

“I met a girl who sang the blues, And I asked her for some happy news; But she just smiled and turned away” Don McLean

He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Ps40.3 ESV

I have found it good to reflect upon my spiritual poverty, but only in so far as it leads me to consider the wealth of Jesus. I do not think we should be overly focused on our sinfulness, simply because it is not healthy to be thinking much about ourselves at all. There are better things to think about. Doesn't it seem reasonable that God would have us know our sinfulness, but not to the point where we walk around all the time singing the blues. I should think He would rather hear us sing songs of praise, captivated by His love and lifted out of the burden of our shortcomings. Wouldn't it be better if we did not get stuck thinking about how little and weak we are but how great and strong He is. May the song in our mouth soar in the joy of God’s faithfulness rather than sour in the sorrow of our failures. 8/25/2008 ts