Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Knowing and Knowing

To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Col.1.27

In what sense am I in Christ, what sense is He in me? Well in one sense, that is the mystery isn’t it? I am one who is always taking things apart to see how they work. But one does not need to understand how a computer or a car works in order to use them. It is not necessary to understand a mystery in order to experience it. The word, “make known,“ is used principally of experiential knowledge rather than cogitative learning. Indeed, the writer of the Imitation of Christ pointed out the difference between knowing and knowing, when he wrote these words, “I would rather feel compunction than be able to define it.“ A ninth-century Irish poet also pinned these words about the dangers of knowing Christ only in intellectual study.
'Tis sad to see the sons of learning
In everlasting hellfire burning
While he that never read a line
Doth in eternal glory shine.’
There is significant difference in knowing about God and in knowing God. So again I ask, in what sense am I in Christ, what sense is He in me? We may take it to heart (pun intended) that however this mystery may exist, it is in fact the reality of all who have invited Christ in. The sense in which this is true, is in every way that counts. Christ has not come in to our lives just to hang out. He has come with intent. I am sure that we will be forever experiencing the fullness of this mysterious union, this fellowship. For now, the imperative is that I know in this very moment all that Christ is in me in all my relations. Lord I would open every chamber of my heart---of our heart. 4/25/07 ts