Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, April 2, 2007

The Wave that Pride will Ride

Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death. Mt20.18 NKJV

When I wish to emphasize something to students, I generally will lean forward and say, ’Listen,’ and then pause for effect. Jesus used a similar style of speech. He would often say, ’Behold.” This was His way of punching the audience, telling them to sit up and visualized what He is saying. Here, He want them to know full well what is about to happen.
One thing that should stand out to each of us in His words, is the group that Jesus identifies who will condemn Him to death. Today we would call them the religious right. Strange, though it is not uncommon, we often find religious leaders the first to throw stones. We need to sit up and pay attention to this fact. Religion is often the wave on which pride will ride and, it is pride that fuels the fires of condemning others. We should guard our hearts from such. I have witnessed this pride in myself as I have looked with despicable contempt on a certain behavior in others that I foolishly believe is beneath me. I have also heard the non-religious condemn those that are, as if there was a difference in their source of pride. Pride is pride. We are all infected with it. I have written this quote on my bathroom mirror--a fitting place I think. “As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.” C.S. Lewis 4/2/07 ts