Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Badge of honor

“Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured.” Heb13.13 ESV

My dad served as an Alabama State trooper for over 25 years. State troopers are not very popular among those who want to ignore state speed limits. I have actually heard someone say after passing a trooper on the side of the road, ‘I hate those guys.” I remember as a child noticing that my dad had added a new pin to his trooper attire. Next to his badge, he wore a tiny pin of a pig. You may well remember the days when “pig” was a much used derogatory term for police officers by those who did not appreciate law enforcement. By wearing the pin my dad was saying that if being called a pig meant he was being a good trooper, he was glad to be called a pig. My father embraced the reproach.

Christians may be criticized for many things. Some of the criticisms railed against us are deserved. There is no honor when anyone suffers reproach for being stupid. But when we suffer reproach for the cause of Christ let us embrace our reproach as a badge of honor. 1/26/2008 ts