Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Self Destruction, What grace is all about.

“But in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction.” Is38.17 ESV

When God delivers us from destruction this usually means that He is delivering us from us, delivering me from me. A good friend of mine recently confessed, “I'm addicted, Lord, to destruction.” Aren’t we all? And isn’t this why Jesus came?
“Lord its me again and I did it again, that same stupid thing I keep on doing. I feel so foolish asking you to forgive me for the same old sin over and over again.”
What struggling child of God hasn’t prayed a similar prayer? Its downright embarrassing when it happens and its hard to face God in the shame of it all. Yet like Peter we also confess, “Lord where else can we go? You have the words of eternal life.”
And, like Peter, there is nothing reasonable to do but express the godly sorrow of repentance and accept His unending mercy and grace. Of course we can be unreasonable like Judas and express the worldly sorrow of self-pity and hang ourselves in shame. Better, the sorrow of Peter than the sorrow of Judas. Godly sorrow looks at how we have offended God; worldly sorrow is stuck on feeling sorry for oneself.
“Blessed are those who mourn, they will be comforted.” And God is able to deliver all who call upon Him, all who call upon Him in truth. 1/17/2008 ts