Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Playing the back nine

My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word! Ps119.25 ESV

I often find myself having thoughts of death and dying. I guess such morbid thinking started sometime after I turned forty. I remember the first time it happened. I was on a white water rafting trip with some friends. The sun was setting, the autumn leaves were turning and I think I realized for the first time that I had crossed over and was playing the back nine. I tend to be one of those people who live in the present, so it was a profound and sobering moment for me. It was also one moment where I vividly recall hearing God speak to me. He made His presence known in my thoughts as though He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, “But your going to live forever. You know that, don’t you?”

I confess that my hope in the promise of eternal life is tested in such moments. I love life so! My soul clings to the dust of this dying world and I need God’s assurances that there is more to life than just this life for He has placed eternity in the hearts of men. Jesus told us that men do not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. And what is that word? "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, the living one. I was dead, but now I am alive forever. I have the keys of death and hell.” The back nine we play here is just the warm up round. 1/15/2008 ts