Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Poems, Prayers and Promises

“and as your days, so shall your strength be.” Dt33.25 ESV

As I read these words an old song from my youth came to mind. I am referring to John Denver’s, “Poems, Prayers and Promises.” The song celebrates the simple and quiet joys of friendship and life. One line in particular has always stuck with me and, though Denver did not live to a ripe old age, the verse captures a realization in my own soul,

“The days they pass so quickly now Nights are seldom long And time around me whispers when its cold
The changes somehow frighten me Still I have to smile It turns me on to think of growing old.”

I am now in my fifties and life is such that I would see more of it. The other day I told Brenda that I looked forward to growing old together. I asked how old she would like to live before departing for glory. In her matter of fact manner, she told me that she would not want to live past usefulness or being able to get around well. Well, said!
This blessing, given to Asher by his elderly father, is one that we all would want. It has been paraphrased. “May the strength of thy old age be like that of thy youth; you shall not feel decay, nor be the worse for the wearing…” Such was the life of Moses the man of God, “Moses was 120 years old when he died. His eye was undimmed, and his vigor unabated.” Dt.34.

Someone has said, “If you would live long, choose your parents well.” I am not so sure that it is vital that we live long as it is that we live well and doing so, choose God as our Father.

“But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” Is40.31 1/28/2008 ts