Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

“All mortals tend to turn into the things they are pretending to be.” C.S. Lewis

I press on to make it my own because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Phil3.12 ESV

I came to Christ during the Jesus movement of the late sixties and early seventies. I was a Jesus hippy, complete with long hair and denim covered Bible. And, because I wanted to be like Jesus I wore sandals, sometimes dressed in a robe and wore a wooden cross around my neck. Don’t all children try to wear the garb of what they want to be when they play make believe? I smile to think of my teenage attempts to be like Jesus but I was headed in the right direction. It helps to wear a toy holster if you are pretending to be a cowboy. Think of all the kids who wore those plastic play fireman hats, who grew up and became actual firemen. It would seem, at least for the present, that all we can really do is pretend to be what we will actually be when we get to glory. There we shall be all grown up and truly like Him. Of course, the real clothing of Christ is not sandals and a robe, but love, joy, peace and patience. Yes, it is kindness, goodness, meekness and self-control. For now let us play and pretend to be Jesus until we actually grow up into Him. 10/3/2008 ts