Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Convenient inconveniences

“Patience, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.” Ambrose Bierce

…for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father…” Col1.11 ESV

I should think that most of us do not usually link patience with joy. Generally when I think of patience I imagine “putting up” with something beyond my control like standing in a long line at Wal-Mart. You can bet that I have exhausted every means to find the shortest line but having found none, I patiently endure whatever line is available. And, I usually feel that I have done well if I do not begrudge my fate. But to say that I have patience with joy? Hardly! Now my use of the word “fate” is no slip of the tongue. You may think me silly but I believe that God has somehow led me to be at such a place at such a time if for no other purpose but to teach me patience. And, if I am not having a good day I will blame Him (if you can believe such arrogance) for wasting my time. Perhaps I would know joy in my patience if I would give thanks to God at such times. Give thanks for what? Well for one thing, can we not thank God that inconveniences to my hurried schedule are actually convenient opportunities to trust His providence. If that is not enough, we can at least be grateful for His patience in trying to help us overcome our arrogant impatience. 10/7/2008 ts