Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

“Enjoy life. Think of all the women who passed up dessert on the Titanic.” - Anonymous

“Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” Is.22.13 ESV

Be where you are! Be this moment. I have spent considerable energy learning this valuable bit of wisdom. I have tendencies toward always being on the go, headed toward some destination rather than enjoying the journey. Now the verse above at first glance may seem to encourage us to value the present moment and give ourselves wholly to it. What is sobering is that this expression is used three times in the Bible and every single time the user is directing us to consider where we are going rather than where we are. This shouldn’t surprise us in the least. Life is both journey and destination. Sometimes being where you are demands that you think about where you are going. This happens at every fork in the road. And, there are as many forks, as there are decisions. We are encouraged to give ourselves to the present moment, not because this is all we have, not because we only go around once in life. We are encouraged to make the present moment count precisely because there is more to life than just this life. My death, when it comes, will simply transition me into my eternal state and how I live this present moment will determine all that I will be when I am there. 12/18/2008 ts