Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, December 15, 2008

“The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head.” Jesus

Let the outcasts of Moab sojourn among you; be a shelter to them from the destroyer. Is.16.4 ESV

Every week the Internet brings into my home the suffering mass of refugees in Darfur, Zimbabwe, the Congo and many others from war torn countries in the world. It is not easy to be your brother’s keeper when they live half way around the world. I have joined actions groups, written senators, signed petitions to the United Nations and laid my intercessions before the Throne of Grace. Yet, I feel that same sense of frustration that so many have expressed. One woman wrote, “So many people have died already, but what can everyday individuals like me do, aside from buying arm bands and writing letters to politicians?”
I think most people feel this way at one time or another. There is nothing quite akin to hands on involvement and if possible, we all would like to hand deliver food to a starving refugee. God calls some people to do just that and if He has called you to go, don’t let anything deter you. Not everyone can be a hands on missionary of mercy but we can all find our place assisting the effort. I do not think that we should we underestimate the value of our advocacy to politicians and certainly not our intercessions to God. If we want to do more than this, just ask. If God desires more from us, He is able to let us know--only let us listen and do as we are able. 2/12/2008 ts