Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

“Hear me, four quarters of the world - a relative I am!” Black Elk

“…but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.” Is.11.4 ESV

Whatever I do this day, let me in some way seek what is good for the poor and the meek of the earth. When Jesus taught us to pray, He told us to use certain possessive plurals to waken us to our connectedness to each other. The proper prayer is not give me my daily bread, forgive me my sin, but give us our daily bread; forgive us our debts; lead us; deliver us. The Father is not my Father but our Father. Sin would fragment us all into the isolation of selfishness. Christ would join us to one another, in dynamic community. He has shown us by example to look out not only for our own interest but also for the interest of others. And let our love for the poor and meek be something of substance not just another “be nice to the poor moment.” It is all too easy to give a hungry person the change in our pocket when what he really needs is lasting friendship. 12/8/2008 ts