Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

“Let this be my last word, that I trust in your love.” Rabindranath Tagore

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Is.6.1 ESV

I often need to remind myself that God is seated on His throne, that He rules over the affairs of men, and, on a more personal note, that He rules over my affairs. This is not to blame or credit Him with all that is wrong in the world or in my life, though I sometimes do exactly that. No, I need to be reminded that though God allows us the abuse of our freedoms, (our rebellion is the cause of all that is wrong in the world) the Lord still has the final say in everything. Why do I want to remind myself of this? If God allows murder and rape, cancer and starvation, how is this a comfort to any of us? Well, for one thing, He has shown us, repeatedly, that He is able to use even the sinful actions of people to work great good. Just consider the cruelty of the cross as His one supreme example. Christians do not find our comfort in the cruelty of the cross but in the final word spoken upon it. “It is finished.” 12/2/2008 ts