Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, December 19, 2008

“Not on my watch!” President Bush (jotted in the margin of a report on the inaction during the genocide in Rwanda).

“Upon a watchtower I stand, O Lord, continually by day, and at my post I am stationed whole nights. Is.21.8 ESV

When I was a young man, I thought it best to rise early to spend time reading and praying before I went to work. I struggled to get out of bed in time to do this. I had to resort to an older friend to call and wake me. I even taped a scripture verse to the ceiling above my bed so that when I opened my eyes I would read, “Awake! Why sleepeth thou? We are told to be watchful and prayerful many times in the word of God. The imagery is that of a soldier standing post for the safety of others. Do we stand post for our family and friends? That is, do we watch over them with our prayers? Are we standing watch over our nation, over missionaries, over those suffering and oppressed in the world? Are we standing post over the soldiers who are standing post over us--our men in arms? I still get chill bumps remembering a line from a movie. “ One character asks another why she admired certain soldiers. She answered, “Because they stand upon a wall and say, ‘Nothing's going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch.’” How will judgment review our watch? Do we stand our post well? What dangers are being averted by our prayers? 12/17/2008 ts