Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

“Love is the Fire of Life; it either consumes or purifies.”

“Love is the Fire of Life; it either consumes or purifies.”

“With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.” Is.12.3 ESV

It is easy for me to see the corruptions of my sin nature. They announce themselves loudly in my attitudes and actions. It is not so easy for me to apprehend the blessings of Christ at work in me. I think that overall, the changes that God is bringing about in us, though certain, are subtle and quiet. The corruptions of the flesh flare up often like the raging fire, which destroys everything in a moment. The transformations of Jesus are like the acorn, slowly but surely growing into a mighty oak. It then seems by nature that it is easier to destroy than to renew. A moment of lust or anger can undo years of steady growth. If this is the case, where is the security in our transformation? Well, God has graciously not left our security entirely up to us. God has shown us repeatedly, that in His delicate hands, a woodland fire purges unhealthy undergrowth and burns away dead and fallen branches renewing life in a maturing forest. God also uses the failures of human flesh to burn away all that is dead in the community of the believing and in His hands, all things may work new life in our relationship with Him. 12/9/2008 ts