Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, June 1, 2007

Flat Thinking

Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Rev.21.1 NKJV

I remember the first time that I read these words, I was somewhat troubled by them. You might very well wonder why this description of the new earth would disturb someone. The expression, “there was no more sea,” bothered me. I was unsettled by the thought that if there is no sea in the world to come, what else might be missing. Now, I have never been a beach person but prefer the woods and mountains as my playground. But I could not help but think of people who love surfing, diving or deep sea fishing. I was wondering how they would feel to discover that in the eternal state there would be no more sea. I also wondered if something that I loved to do in the here and now would no longer be available in heaven. I confess that streets of gold have never had much of an appeal to one who loves wood, wind and water.
Now my young thinking was wrong in a number of ways. The first was that I was reading and understanding the Scriptures in some flat or literal manner. Flat thinking does not take into account that a picture of a hand cannot fully describe a real hand. Should we understand that if God wipes every tear from our eyes, that there will be no tears of joy in glory? John’s description of heaven is much like our looking at a picture of someplace we have never been. The picture is flat, lacking the depth which only being there can describe.
My second mistake was not taking into account something that should be quite obvious. Cannot God, who made chocolate and made my palate love the taste of chocolate also make my heart love, and truly love what awaits me in glory. The new heaven and the new earth will be different from the present heavens and earth but so also will I. What ever awaits us is sure to be heaven because heaven itself will rule in our hearts. 6/1/07 ts