Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Weaning the Soul

“Be still, and know that I am God…” Ps46.10 NKJV

When I was a teenager I began going to the woods for quiet reflection and prayer. I picked out a quit spot, lined it rocks, and set an old log in the middle so that I could sit in repose. I remember carving this verse of Scripture into one of the trees in my little forest garden. I have always sought out quiet places. I have a garden now but I have learned through the years that having a quiet place to pray does not necessarily mean that the soul is quiet. I have sat in many a peaceful place, all the while my soul was a raging torrent of emotions.
We are told that Christ leads His own beside still waters. Why? Quiet waters run deep and our Shepherd is nurturing in us a faith that runs quiet and deep.
The Holy Spirit offers to help us still the soul in the presence of God if we will humbly accept it. David prayed, ''O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; Nor do I involve myself in great matters, Or in things too difficult for me. Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me." Ps. 131
A weaned child wants for nothing. It rests content in the arms of its mother. To be still and know that God is God, is to rest from the mental labors to "figure it out.“ Be still and rest O my soul. Be still and know that God is God. 6/11/07 ts