Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Straight and Narrow

“…narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Mt7.14

Of all the radical things said by the Lord Jesus, I think these are among the most sobering. I have met very few people who believe they are not a Christian and looking at the results of numerous polls the notion of most is that few are on the road to destruction and many on the road to life, or at least it is someone else and not I who is on the road to hell.
I have wondered from time to time if I myself walk the straight and narrow or if I am one of the delusional self righteous and religious who will be sorely surprised at Judgment.
When I have these thoughts, I go to the only secure ground that affords any comfort. The old hymn states, “On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.”
It would be a mistake to believe that walking the straight and narrow is trying to merit God’s favor by being good and perfect. Such efforts are condemned as quick sand. The only solid ground is to trust Christ for both atonement and alteration. His death is said to free us from the penalty of sin, and His life from the power of sin. It is also a mistake to believe that one can look to Christ for forgiveness and refuse the change of character He inevitably brings and must necessarily bring if we are to be happy in the Kingdom of God. The Father knows that we cannot clean-up our act or reform ourselves. For this He has given us the gift of His Son. To live in Christ is to be on the straight and narrow road. Did Jesus not say, “I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me.” 6/9/07 ts