Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, June 8, 2007

Mother Bear

“I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs” Hos13.8

The other day I was mad about something. I was walking around the house ranting and raving when I noticed that Maggie our Lab, had her ears folded back and was gingerly avoiding me. It strummed the strings of my heart when I realized that my anger, even though it was not directed at her, was upsetting her. There many passages in the Scriptures which give a vivid description of God’s wrath and judgment. I always feel uncomfortable when I read about God’s anger, even when it is not directed at me.
We live in a day where God’s judgment is not only questioned but condemned by the judgment of men. This generation has put God on trial and people refuse to believe in any God who gets angry or who threatens judgment. A more mature generation would tell us that God would not be good if He did not hate evil. God’s anger is always directed against injustice and though He is full of tender mercy, He tells us that He will come against evil like a mother bear robbed of her cubs. Can you imagine? Would we not say that any mother who did not act in defense of her children was not a good mother? Certainly we would, and God would not be a good God if He did not hate injustice and defend His own. Judgment will certainly come but God who is rich in mercy has given us all a way of escape. It may be unsettling to be around an angry God, but it is also comforting to know that His anger is directed against anything that threatens to harm those He loves. He is our mother bear. 6/8/07 ts