Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

We should get on with it, if we want Him to get on with it.

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 2Pt3.9 NKJV

When people ask me if I think Christ is coming soon, my thoughts always run in the direction of whether I think He will come in my lifetime. Now all the events described in Scripture which are supposed to precede His coming, make me wonder if I will live to see it. But everyone knows how quickly the world scene can change, the collapse of the Soviet Union for instance. And, while I wonder if He will come before I taste death, I feel there is a good chance that my children and grandchildren will probably be alive at His coming. All of this, of course, is speculation and mine is no better than any other who ponders the Scriptures.
Yet, I think that the best answer to the question is to say, “Of course He is coming soon.” He told those first century followers that He would, and He told them several times. “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.”
But it should be obvious that when a thousand years are as a day to God, then the celebrated words of the Christ character, Aslan, ring true, “I call all times soon.” What is soon to God may not seem soon to us. None the less, He is coming, and any delay, however it is viewed, is because He is not willing that any perish but that all come to repentance.
Like school children we need to stop watching the clock as it does tend to slow time. We should instead get on with the business of the coming King for He will not return until “this gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.”
“Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord” Jesus.”6/28/07 ts