Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Hitting the Wall

Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God. Ps90.2 NKJV

“Where did God come from?” Every year I expect and receive this question in Bible class. When I tell the students that the Scriptures teach us that God has no beginning and that He is from everlasting to everlasting I can almost hear the thump of their heads hitting the wall. The reason that I can hear this is because my head is leaning against the same wall. God staggers the imagination as no other.
What does it mean to be God? Only God can tell us and even then there are limitations to our ability to understand. He has chosen to reveal Himself in nature and in the Word. All that we see of Him in nature is focused in the Scriptures. Moses penned this reflection about God. We are told that God spoke to Moses as a man speaks with a friend. So it was God who explained to Moses that He was from everlasting to everlasting. I am sure that had we been privy to this conversation we would have heard Moses head go thump as he too would have hit the wall of trying to comprehend something incomprehensible. God no more can explain certain aspects of what it means to be God than I can explain to my lab why her ear hurts every time she plays in water. Then why does He tell us these things? Well, we are told some things not so that we will comprehend them but so that when we realize that we do not, the revelation serves to put us in our place. When God tells us that He is from everlasting to everlasting I think He is helping us to see that we are not the hub of life and that one of the reasons why our lives are so out of balance is due to the fact that we have sought to make ourselves the center. 6/7/07 ts