Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Hey! Lookie here!

God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Rom5.5 ESV

I used to carry emergency money. Once, forgetting that I had done so, I came across a hundred-dollar bill that I had tucked away in my wallet. It was a delightful experience to realize that I had money I didn’t remember I had. I remember saying to myself. Hey! Lookie here!
I forget a lot of things these days, but it is a strange thing to forget about the roll of the Holy Spirit in my relationship with God. How is this possible I wonder? I interact with the Father every day, all day, yet forget about the gift of the Holy Spirit who lives in me. Perhaps this is due in part to the subtle ways He works in us. Jesus did tell us that He would not speak of Himself but pass along the words of the Father and Son. But I have an uneasy feeling that I may be treating the Holy Spirit like my emergency money. I only become aware of His value in times of crisis. He is not to be thus hidden away. He is as living currency in us, for we surely need His enabling power for the simplest expressions of faith. 6/23/2008 ts