Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Running rapids

“...comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word.” 2Thess2.17 ESV

I know a few people who would be called thrill seekers but I think most people are solace seekers. The hurry, hustle and bustle of life has left most of us hungering for quiet. Yet, those who seriously seek solace know that real peace is so much more than just serene sunsets and surroundings. We long for that inner peace, one that rules the heart no matter what our outward circumstance. I find myself seeking this peace because I am in and out of it all through the day. I am one of those who would rather paddle the quiet rivers than run the rapids. I think this is true because I am tired of the rapids in my inner self. We sail in the tempestuous waters of a divided self, always doing things we don’t want to do, and not doing the things we know we should do.
Jesus tells us to comfort our hearts in the knowledge that He is the Prince of Peace and if we allow Him, He will heal all that is fragmented in our lives. I am sure there are rapids left to run. But there is comfort in the knowledge that Christ is guiding me down the river of life into the ocean of His love. To center myself on His every good work and word is to know the peace He has promised. When His quiet waters run in us we can experience peace, even joy in the rapids around us. 6/14/2008 ts