Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

“Life is the sum of all your choices.” Albert Camus

And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.

Several months ago I reluctantly purchased a pump from Wal-Mart for the exercise pool in our backyard. I remember committing the whole affair to the Lord, hoping that I was making a good decision (anytime I spend money it tends to be a big deal). The day before yesterday, just like that, the pump stopped working. Now my first thought was to remind the Lord that I had asked Him whether I should make that particular purchase and I felt that He should have at least warned me that I was about to waste my money.
As I set about fixing the problem I actually ended up creating a better filtering system and since the house is up for sale I thought that the potential new owners would appreciate the improvement. At that moment, I had one of those moments when you know the Lord is talking to you. He gently whispered the words in my soul that it was a good thing to love my neighbor, that I had made the right choice and that it is never a waste of money to leave a place better than you find it. He also explained to me that whether our house sells or not, that it is incredibly liberating to live this way and that doing so would free me from the anxieties I been having about spending money on a house I intend to sell.
You see, there was really no question if I would be willing to by a pump for my benefit. The question I was really asking in Wal-Mart those many months ago was, is the person who might buy my house worth this improvement. Evidently God believes so, and now I do. 6/24/2008 ts