Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My moneys on the only One with an empty tomb!

“Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” Jo2.19 ESV

I was talking with a new friend the other day about the joys of mountain biking. He began telling me about another biker who was recently diagnosed with cancer and that his biking days are over. I could tell that the weight of it all, was hard on him and the unspoken word that life is too short was lingering in the air. I found it awkward to tell my friend that my hope as a Christian is to be mountain biking long after this version of my body wears out. I of course believe this as no accomplishment of my own but the gracious gift of God to all who are in Christ. Our hope of eternal life is traced to these words of Jesus before his crucifixion.
It is here that Jesus separates himself from all the other prophets and teachers of the many world religions. Jesus not only told us to love one another, as do many other religions, He not only taught morals, as did Buddha, Confucius and Mohammed. He told us that He was greater than death and offered his resurrected body as the proof of it. I value even practice many Buddhist teachings about life. Truth after all is truth. But, when it comes down to my own hope in the after life, my moneys on the only One with an empty tomb. As one brother put it and I paraphrase, all roads do not lead to God; most roads lead nowhere. But, and this is an important but, there is no road where God will not go to help bring us to trust His one and only Son. 6/4/2008 ts