Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I once was…but now I am.

I once was…but now I am.
We . . . were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. Eph2.3 ESV

It must be a good thing to remember what we were before we came to Christ, if only to declare to ourselves what we are. The Holy Spirit speaks of it often in the Scriptures and it seems in the heart of most Christians. So many Christian songs carry the simple theme, “I once was… but now I am. We were lost, blind, and even dead in our days before the Savior. But now that He has come, we joyfully affirm that we are found, have eyes that can see, and are alive to that new life in Christ. Our relationship with our former self has changed simply because of our relationship with God in Christ. After Augustine came to Christ, it is said that he ran into one of his former lovers. He immediately turned and walked the other way. She began calling to him, Augustine! Augustine! It is I! It is I! He finally turned and faced her, then humbly said, “But it is no longer I.”
Here is a weapon to wield when I am tempted, a song to sing on the field of battle, "I once was…but now I am." 6/10/2008 ts