Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

An Aroma of Autumn

“As a pleasing aroma I will accept you…” Ezek.20.41 ESV

There is for me an aroma of autumn,
a nutty sort of smell I sometimes catch in the morning air,
some elusive leafy, earthy fragrance that stirs my soul,
that somehow captures, if only for a moment,
and if only as a delicate scent,
all I believe glory to be.
This redolence of memory and musing wakens me
and all at once there rushes in me
the warmth of family,
the wonderment of childhood,
the excitement of the holidays,
a thanksgiving feast,
and in that single focused moment I know God’s love for me,
and catch a whiff of that divine life that is mine in Christ.
I should like to leave this world,
drawing this precious air as my last breath
and find it new as my first breath,
in His blessed presence. 11/13/2008 ts