Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

“Sometimes questions are more important than answers.” Nancy Willard

“The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” Gen.3.13 ESV

Beyond this general attack, Christians today face a barrage of social and moral concerns where we may be sure that our enemies are trying to sow deceit. Consider modern discussions on: religious tolerance; the role of women in the church; gay Christians; stem cell research; abortion; assisted suicide and cloning to mention just a few. It would be foolish to think that our enemy is not looking for ways to deceive not only the church at large but more pointedly the individual Christian. Every battle is after all, won or lost one soul at a time. And, that being the case, it would be prudent for me to ferret out all the ways the enemy is deceiving me. I will of course need help with this, which means that I of course will need humility to receive such help. I say again that it is within the fellowship of the past and the present community of the saints that we find such help. But we must foster in our fellowship the freedom to express our doubts and questions even if they are about orthodox beliefs and practices. As one brother kindly put it, “It's hard to love the questions when you live in a society obsessed with answers…a good Christian is to have all the answers and to never admit you have any questions.” Without heartfelt questions how will God lead us to the answers that transform the heart? 11/13/2008 ts