Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

A proud man is always looking down on things and people;...

... and, of course , as long as you're looking down, you can't see something that's above you. C.S. Lewis

Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble. Dan.4.37 ESV

There is more hope for a fool than for one who is wise in his own eyes. So says the book of wisdom and so let my heart embrace it. I think pride expresses itself most when we hear God’s word and smugly apply it to someone else instead of ourselves. Even now how easy it is for me to assemble in my thoughts those who I think need to hear these words. Let me hear them! Let me heed them! God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. The subtle expressions of our pride break out in the bitter fruit of our judgment and criticisms of others. How easy it is to look down on someone when perched upon the fences of religion. We need to remember that the harshest words that Jesus spoke in His brief visit were directed against the religious right of His day. Christ came to tear down fences not erect new ones. 11/8/2008 ts