Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Divine Nature

…he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. 2Pt1.4

Yesterday, Brenda and I took a long walk in the woods. As we strolled along, our conversation turned, as it often does, to the contradictions in each of us. We are finding that confession is truly good for the soul, if only to refocus our energies. Both of us admitted the frustration of wanting to be one way, yet acting another. Now, I know that a part of the reason for feeling this way is wounded pride and that too is something in me for which I am ashamed. Who is this person, feeling shame for feeling shame for the wrong reasons? I am coming to realize that it is not only Christ speaking to me but Christ living in me. There is a new me, joined to Christ, sharing His divine nature therefore sharing His hatred of all my corruptions. Our joining to Christ creates a new creature, and though still in a state of becoming, we are not that old man. I think I began to understand something of Paul’s confession, "So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me." Great is the mystery of godliness.
I am encouraged by the knowledge that when Brenda and I wrong each other, as married couples often do, that neither of us want to live this way, and that we don’t, is evidence of our joining to His divine nature. He will not abandon us to our fallen desires and our frustrations will inevitably pass into the fullness of His joy. We can never know God’s happiness until we share God’s goodness. For that, we need only to remain in Christ and have the promises of Christ remain in us. 3/12/07 ts