Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Our Great Privilege

“For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;” Phil1.29

The word translated “given” is predominately used, if not always, in a positive light and suggests that what is given is “graciously given.” This is why some translations use the word “grant,” i.e. “It has been granted.” What is being said, is that suffering for Christ is to be regarded as a privilege, as much so, as believing in Him.
Now, when a person tells us that it is their privilege to do something, they are telling us that it is their honor, a source of pride, a joy and a pleasure for them. When a person says this, it is usually before they are about to do something which is going to cost them in some way. It may seen strange that one might feel joy even excitement at the prospect of sacrifice. But it is only strange to those who have not been on the receiving end of a sacrificial giving. I remember a time when I was given the privilege of being able to do some small favor for someone who had served me many times. I remember how humbled I was. It was a deep feeling, almost more than I could stand. I was glad to do it. Looking back I would have fought for the privilege of doing it.
We do not always feel this way though. Sometimes we complain about our sufferings, if we could even call them that. Truthfully, when I look at the minor inconveniences which God asks from me from time to time, I am ashamed that I would ever complain. It is perhaps that I do not see the connection between my inconvenience and the cause of Christ. This may be because there is none and I am engaged in some trivial business of my own. Since I may do all for the glory of God in Christ, even mundane responsibilities can be transformed into noble offerings. It is on this ground that we may discover joy in suffering because we see it a privilege to serve our God and King, to return to Him in some way a favor for all which He has done for us. 3/26/07 ts