Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, March 5, 2007

Passing a flaming torch or smoldering stub

You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. Dt6.6-7

It is the responsibility of one generation to hand the torch of faith over to the next. My wife and I represent the last of the baby boomers. We appear to be the aberrant generation forsaking the moral foundations which have gone hand and hand with God’s blessings on our nation. What will become of America under our children?
We should feel the weight of these words and wonder about the faith of our own children and grandchildren. A voice from a distant generation, one which knew a level of faith and discipline so foreign to our own, has written, “If the word does not dwell with power in us, it will not pass with power from us.” A lukewarm faith, cooled by a love for the world, will only get colder and colder when poured into the life of another. The words preceding the encouragement to teach our children is that “these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.”
How can we expect our children to be rich toward God if God’s word does not dwell in us richly. Do we pass the torch of a passionately burning faith, or just the smoldering stub of a faith doused by a divided heart. 3/5/07 ts

Oh Lord, please light the fire
That once burned bright and clean
Replace the lamp of my first love
That burns with holy fear

I want to take Your Word and shine it all around
But first help me just to live it, Lord
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown
For my reward is giving glory to You
Keith Green