Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

When God is all we desire.

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Ps73.25-26

One of those anonymous quotes popped into my head after reading these verses. "When God is all you’ve got, you realize that God is all you need." These words are usually spoken into a context of desperation or despair. That God is all you need, is actually as true for those surrounded by bounty (though they may not know it) as it is for those stripped of everything. I think that He sometimes must strip us before He can clothe us with this certitude. God, Himself is our very great reward. In the end, all that He can truly give us is the gift of Himself. This is one of the reasons I believe He is called the great "I Am." In truth He is telling us, I Am every good thing, every blessing, every comfort, I Am all you need. Everything else has no real meaning apart from Him.
There is real power in the knowledge that God is all you need. It energizes weakness with strength, despair with hope and directs our hearts to imitate His matchless love. I think it is true to say that we will know that God is all we need, when God is all we desire. Father, be our one desire. 3/1/07 ts