Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

“Hell is a place, a time, a consciousness, in which there is no love.” Richard Bach

“In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” Matt13.50 ESV

I have been in such a place, this place of torment, even if it was only in the mental anguish of sin’s selfishness. And although I will not mention my own specifics, many will attest that they too have been there. I have even returned there in my memories. Every time I do, I always grit my teeth and push away such hellish recollections. I can only thank God that it is for me now only a memory, and not a place a permanent abode. I shutter to think that anyone would live forever in such a dark place. It was a gift from God that He let me taste the upper reaches of a self-inflicted hell just as it is precious to me that I have tasted the lower reaches of heaven. That people are capable of such joy and such horror says much about the nature of heaven and hell. I never want to return to the hell of my personal torments and remembering them I surely want nothing to do with the eternal place of weeping and gnashing of teeth. Jesus how precious are your graces.