Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

‘May it be the real I who speaks. May it be the real Thou that I speak to.’ C. S. Lewis

I have been silent; you thought that I was one like you. Ps50.21

Do I create God in my own image? That is, do I picture Him in my mind the way I want Him to be, instead of how He really is? I am sure that I do this, but I am equally sure that He does not play along with me. I know that I am often tempted to explain away some of the disturbing passages in the Bible, especially those that seem to reveal some aspect of God that makes me uncomfortable. But in those moments of honesty, the ones that He graciously gives, He uses such passages to shatter my silly Santa Claus notions about Him and invites me to really experience Him, not invent Him. There comes a time when every child must stop the pretending and actually start living. 9/11/2008 ts