Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

People are trapped in history, and history is trapped in them. James Baldwin

Yet he commanded the skies above and opened the doors of heaven…Ps78.23 ESV

What do we observe when we look at the history of our interaction with God? Is it not a humbling record of contrasts? Our perpetual infidelity meets with God’s patient fidelity, our disloyalty with His faithfulness. We are that unfaithful wife, always straying from our marriage vows but He the faithful husband always taking us back into His care. We have cheated on Him a thousand times but find Him always willing to forgive and treat as though it never happened. And, after all this, we have the audacity to constantly complain against His providence yet He still commands the skies above and opens the doors of heaven. What is left for us in the face of such a well-documented history? Well, nothing to be proud of that’s for sure, nothing at all. Would I be so foolish as to stand on my own record? The very point that Jesus has come to make is that we may stand on His instead.
“Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling.” 9/23/2008 ts