Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Did you really mean to say that?

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 2 Jo2.15

I have a friend who pokes me with words from time to time. I will say something like, “I love gardening.” or “I love golf.“ and my friend will respond by saying, “You love it?” as if to say, “Did you really mean to say that? Do you really, love, golf?” Now my friend is nudging me because there is a difference between liking and loving something. We tend to serve what we love. The degree of our passion about something is usually the degree to which we chase after it. We are encouraged to enjoy the gifts of God but never to center our lives around things. If we are not careful we can spend our time serving things even activities, which were meant to serve us. We need to take care that our enjoyment of football, or coffee, or gardening or of anything for that matter, does not end up as an end, when God intended it only as a means of loving and serving Him. 11/11/07 ts