Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Personal Service

Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid. They are serving God in what they do. Rom13.6 NLT

Yesterday I was looking over our grocery receipt, amazed at how little a hundred dollars will buy these days. When I looked at the bottom of the receipt, I commented to Brenda that we had just given ten dollars to the government. I did not say this with glee but grumbling. The truth, is that while I may complain about paying taxes, if I were really asked about it, I would gladly dish out 10 percent of my income for the privilege of living and shopping in America. When I look at it this way, I appreciate the obligations of my citizenship.
We need to personalize the services we receive from others and see God’s hand in all that is provided for us, not to mention the protections we so often take for granted. I thank God for this gentle rebuke for my grumbling yesterday. Talk about personal service, the God of the universe takes the time to correct an ungrateful attitude in me. Let us abound in thanksgiving. 11/5/07 ts