Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Knowing where the lines are drawn

Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. Ro13.1 NLT

Strange that I would have a dream last night where in my dream I was explaining to an abused wife that she was under no obligation to obey her husband when he forbid her to go to church. I explained that God had indeed given her husband authority but not the authority to keep her from seeking Him. All authority has fixed boundaries. My employer may have authority over my dress at work but not when I go to the park that afternoon. We are to respectfully submit to authority in areas over which God has granted it. There is protection in doing so.
But, God did not give the spiritual care of children to the government but to parents. The government may make policy to forbid a teacher from imposing her religion on her students but they do not have the authority to keep the teacher from personal prayer before she begins teaching her class. And, there is a difference in leading others to pray and in personal prayer while in a public place. We are to always convey respect for anyone in a position of authority even if we must respectfully remind them where the lines of authority are drawn. 11/3/07 ts