Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, November 9, 2007

Eat your Spinach

I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 1Ti2.1 NLT

Yesterday Brenda and I were having a discussion that it is possible to love someone without actually liking them. We may very well not like certain political leaders but are encouraged to pray for them, even give thanks for them. Like them or not, we are called to love and to pray for all people, even our enemies.
My mother always told me to eat my spinach, not because I liked it but precisely because I didn’t, and, because it was good for me. When I seek the good of others, even when I do not like them, I am ultimately doing what is good for myself. Christ is not opposed to us seeking our own good, but seeking only, our own good. 11/7/07 ts