Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rash words

“I had said in my alarm, “I am cut off from your sight.”” Ps31.22 ESV

I have had more than my share of rash words, many of them directed at the Lord. I favor belief in the absolute sovereignty of God and so I give Him credit for many things throughout the day. This means that if I am having a good day I generally thank Him. If I am not having a good day, I tend to blame Him. The other day it took me an hour to secure a board with two simple screws. Nothing was going my way. The battery of one drill died, and the other drill (the one with the loose wire) would only work when I held it up not down. I of course needed to hold it down to secure the screw, which for some reason kept dropping out of my hand just as I would get it in place. Exasperated, I finally said aloud, “I hope your enjoying this.” I of course was blaming God for my difficulties.
Now I do not believe that I am mistaken about God’s rule over the smallest details of life but I am seriously wrong with my rash thoughts and words in response to them. Looking back, my Friend was not resisting me, but teaching me patience. Hasty words come from the hasty heart and I believe that Father wants to remove the hurry and impatience in me. We may feel that God has abandoned us, cut us off, or done us a bad turn, but He of course is as consistent in His expressions of love and goodness as He is calculated in changing us to be like Christ. There is nothing rash about His dealings with us. 4/16/2008 ts