Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, April 28, 2008

What You did speaks so loud, we hear all you did not say!

"He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth..." Is53.7

When I was a boy I used to stare with fascination at a picture of the crucifixion in our family Bible. My fascination continues! I am utterly amazed at the silence of Christ throughout it all. He did not protest His innocence or offer a defense or rightly condemn His accusers. He kept silent and patiently bore the abuse the Father had assigned for our redemption. This humbles me. I am so quick to defend myself, or complain when things do not go, as I would like. I am especially angered by what I consider injustice or unfair treatment and any abuse of power. When I read that Christ opened not His mouth I want to put a hand over my mouth.
C. H. Spurgeon offered one reason perhaps why Jesus did not protest His innocence. He said that Christ was standing in our place and as such, knew we had no innocence to protest and that the condemnation of our sins was just. How powerful His silence! How loud it shouts His submission to His Father and our own need to keep silent before Him. What You did dear Jesus, speaks so loud that we hear all You did not say!