Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Up all night!

“…I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night.” Ps139.18 ESV

Most of us have known nights when we were unable to sleep. Maybe we were worried about something or congested by a cold. I have lost a number of nights over such things. But the wakefulness that David speaks of here in this psalm is not stress related. He is like the child waiting Christmas morn. He is unable to sleep because the excitement of God's presence is keeping Him awake. He is too energized to sleep the company is just too good. He writes, “My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed.” He lies awake in bed counting blessings instead of sheep.
My youngest daughter has a plaque she painted hanging in her bedroom. “If you can’t sleep, don’t count sheep, talk to the Shepherd.” Good advice for one of those nights when stress is keeping you awake, but I don’t think any of us would mind losing a night’s sleep over too many blessings. Or better yet, losing track of the time, sitting up all night talking to your best friend. 4/14/2008 ts